40th Dinishkaa – Healing & Hope for 40 years
This November, Beendigen is celebrating its 40th Dinishkaa (Anniversary), in the community of Thunder Bay. For four decades Beendigen has been providing cultural programming and support to assist women and children on their healing journey. Since opening our doors in 1978, Beendigen has supported thousands of women and children.
Beendigen’s anniversary coincides with Woman Abuse Prevention Month. Throughout November, join Beendigen in 40th Dinishkaa celebrations and initiatives that show women and children that their community supports them and that they are not alone.
- Join us on November 6th for a FREE 40th Dinishkaa Community Celebration and Indoor Street Fair Event. The event will take place from 12 PM - 4 PM at our Victoriaville Centre Mall location (125 Syndicate Ave S. Victoriaville Centre: Suite 5) and will feature entertainment, refreshments & cake, family activities and informational booths. Everyone is welcome to participate and join in the celebrations.
- Over the past couple of months, Beendigen staff have been creating a quilt to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of our organization. All of the threads weaving together in the quilt symbolize how our community needs to work together to continue to enhance victim support and end family violence. Our 40th Anniversary Quilt will be on display at City Hall until November 30th.
- For centuries Indigenous people have been drinking herbal teas for their great taste and incredible medicinal and healing properties. A cup of tea provides people with comfort, warmth and promotes an instant feeling of calm and well-being. In celebration of our anniversary, we have worked with International House of Tea to create a special Beendigen 40th Dinishkaa tea. Our 40th Dinishkaa tea is a unique herbal blend of healing ingredients made specially to nourish the needs of women. There are many ways you can connect with Beendigen over tea this month:
- Tea & Talk Walk-in Counselling
Our Walk-in Counselling services are now offered Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM at our Victoriaville Centre location. For the month of November, there will always be a pot of our 40th Dinishkaa loose-leaf tea brewing and available for anyone to come in, sit down, have a cup of tea and access our support services.
Tea & Bannock Community Presentations
There continues to be a societal narrative that allows violence against women to exist, and we all need to work on building strong and healthy communities by strengthening our partnerships and community- based solutions. This month, Beendigen is working to strengthen community relationships and connect with community partners by delivering informative presentations on our history, evolution and current programming. Presentations are approximately 30 minutes in length and will be made over tea and traditional bannock.
Would your organization/community group be interested in connecting with Beendigen over a Tea & Bannock Presentation this November? Click here to inquire or request a presentation date.
- Tea & Talk Walk-in Counselling
- The purple scarf is a symbol of the courage it takes for a woman to leave her abuser. However, the courage of a woman is not enough. It takes the strength of an entire community to end violence against women. The United Nations has designated November 25th (the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women) as the first of 16 days of Action to eliminate Violence Against Women across the world. Ontarians are asked to wear a purple scarf on these days to show women and their children that they have our support. Join Beendigen in participating in the Wrapped in Courage campaign this November.
- Visit us at our Community 40th Dinishkaa Booth at Intercity Shopping Centre on November 8th, 2018! We will be giving away our 40th Dinishkaa tea and selling purple scarves in support of the Wrapped in Courage campaign.